Saturday 7 June 2014

Personal Promotion

I had been taken off head of branding and put into head of video. This meant that the pressure was off me for a little while as the video content couldn't be produced until the BA group had been contacted and their resources pooled. This meant that I could begin to get on with my own personal development. Working predominantly in video I decided to create a showreel as apposed to a website. I can then always go back and create a website at a later date if there is any time later on. 

I really enjoy making showreels as I get to edit to music and that is something that I feel really lets me express myself. This is a topic I think is key. Expression. If you go on YouTube and look at any number of showreels you can see that they are edited to virtually one or two different songs. There are the indie, folksy songs and then the electronic, even dub step songs. I didn't want to fit into the norm really with my showreel. I am a huge fan of heavy rock and alternative music. I've always wanted to create a professional showreel to a rock track I actually like as I feel it adds another level of personality and expression to my already personal and expressive work. For this reason I wanted to find a song which I like personally, would work well in a showreel and would reflect my style and personality. There were a few I considered but after listening to them I almost immediately settled on "Mike Duce's Symphony No.11 In D Minor" by "Lower Than Atlantis". 


It has a really solid beat and tempo and has a really nice change of pace throughout the song. I listen to it all the time whilst working and I don't think I've heard it used in this way before. Now that I had the song it was time to get to editing. I have all the videos I have been a part of on my hard drive and all of my uni submissions too so it was just a case of placing them all in the editor and seeing what went where.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive