Saturday 7 June 2014

My Poster Submission

My original idea was created to get my vision for the show across. I had already developed it somewhat for the initial display of poster ideas however, now with another week to further expand upon our ideas I decided to try something new that I had been looking at for a while and this was pixel art. I absolutely adore this style of art and have been wanting to give it a crack for some time now. My favourite example of pixel art was in the game Fez.


This is a game I had been following for a while and had not been able to play. I love the art style and music. It has such an inherently happy, innocent tone to it which oozes out of every pixel and note in the game. I wanted to try and create something in a similar style and so tried to learn how to create pixel art. This is what I managed to create:


It turns out that pixel art is extraordinarily time consuming. Just creating that house took me the better part of a week. My plan was to create an entire town in grey with a central coloured building highlighting where the show was taking place and it was a major point of interest. However, after the amount of time it took me creating this house (by manually placing each pixel with the pencil tool in Photoshop), I didn't really see it as a viable poster idea. I then migrated back to my initial idea.

I originally had the name of the show written out in a semi-hand-written font with some dots in the background. I refined it a little to create this:


I really liked this. It was simple, engaging and very flexible. I could see it being utilised in the showreel on on the various stickers and invited we would have to create. It was already it's own logo and had so many possibilities and uses within a branding context. This was the idea I wanted to push.

I took my designs into uni and we had a class showing with discussion of all the various ideas. There were a lot of different styles some going down the 8-bit pixel route too swell as others going down a hand drawn style and various others. My idea suffered I feel from spending too long trying to create that damn pixel house and I think that my other design suffered as a result of the lack of time I was able to devote to it. We then eventually decided to go with Jess Hislop's design and so she became the head of branding.

Her design was very hand drawn and personal. Very Jess. She has a keen eye for making imperfections and chaos seem organised and symmetrical. It is crazy and a skill I don't think I'll ever possess. Her design contained an image representing everyone in the group along with each of our names. It looks very homely and hand made which is something that I think fits the name really well and I am happy that that was the design selected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive