Monday 10 February 2014

Pitch

Pitch went well. I've always said that pitch and crit are two of my favourite parts of this course. I won't bore you with my detailed reasoning behind why that is however, the short version is it allows me to express my ideas and justify my choices to a room full of people. It solidifies the idea in my head and I see aspects of the design I may not have necessarily thought about in a new light. Having said that it does help having finished work to show at these stages or at least some way to being completed work.

I say this because I hadn't got a chance to make mock ups of my poster design before pitch. We had an extremely short turn around for this project and it took me a while to get my direction and slogan down to a point where I felt ready to progress. Even though I had the ideas almost instantly it still took over a week to get all the chinks hammered out and for me to progress into software. And that was one week too many. Saying that a good majority of the class was less progressed with their ideas than I was (thus showing the limit on time we were all held under).

I did however, have some fairly detailed sketches in my sketchbook and I was able to comprehensively explain exactly where I planned to take them and build up a really strong image of the poster in everyones heads even without having any digital art to show as a reference. This I was happy with. At least I could give everyone a vague idea of what to expect and it also allowed me to test my pitching skills to the limit and I think that I did well. It actually helped to build my confidence some what as I had to know what I was saying and say it with authority to not look as though I hadn't done the work and hadn't even thought about it. The fact was I had thought about it and with a day or two more I could have shown what I was explaining on the screen. I did however, learn a lesson from that experience and that was to just make sure you have something to show and not just sketchbooks. Being a perfectionist I always spend ages making sure it looks as good as it can but for pitch that isn't really required. It is better to have something half finished to show than nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive