Monday 10 February 2014

Creating the Posters

Well as you know I didn't manage to get any mockups done for pitch. This however, fuelled me to instantly jump on getting all three posters completed to as high a stage as possible before crit. 

And so to make them I decided to use Adobe Illustrator. Some of my classmates were using photoshop and other such programs for their designs using drawing tablets and Photoshop's brushes however, I knew that I wanted a very crisp, colourful look to my posters. Something I view as only achievable in Illustrator with vector artwork. With this in mind I began creating the posters. I had some rough sketches I could use for layout and placement in my sketchbook but for the most part it was just trial and error ( a technique I feel serves me very well and one that I have perfected over the many years). Anyway there were a few changes from my previous posts and from the pitch. Mainly in the three genres I decided to go with. Instead of the Super Hero one I went instead for a Classic Horror theme. This enabled me to show far more diversity and flexibility within my designs I think and serves me a lot better than the super hero one would have. So here they are:

 Action/Adventure

 Sci-fi

Classic Horror

Now I think it is clear to see visual progression through all of these designs. Even before crit there are things I see to change immediately after. When I made the first one I placed the slogan as a flat, white block of text over the design which fit in with dominos existing branding over their advertising imagery. 

Then when it came to making the second one I realised that that looked glaringly out of place and set about customising it somewhat to blend in more and add some contextual impact to it. This I really liked and after some trial and error settled on a second UFO projecting it onto the sky. 

I then made the horror one and took the contextual approach from the start and went to town with it. I really, really like how the third slogan came out actually and I think it fits the design it's in the best of all of them. Then just to show something more accurate in crit I went back and added some interest to the slogan in the cowboy poster by making it lie flat on the ground and cast a shadow.

For the text across all three I decided to add interest overall by adding 5 degreed anti-clockwise rotation and compensating for that with a 5 degree slant in the other direction. This ensured that all the vertical lines stayed vertical and added some really nice intrigue and depth to the slogan rather than having it just sit flat over the image. This also adds a certain constant nature to all the designs. Some subtle uniformity. This makes them all blend in as a series yet not be too similar so that it looks like I just tweaked a few aspects from each. You can see this also with the drawing style that I employed. Very angular, colourful and blocky. I really like how that all turned out and think that it is definitely eye catching.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive