Wednesday 6 November 2013

Typography Re-think

After exporting, watching and analysing my final animation the typography bothered me. There wasn't enough weight, impact or eye grabbing attention to the font face or colours. Also if you watch the animation the way the text draws the eye along with the movement and various song effects really confuse the viewer. There appears to be too many things happening at once all in different places and that is quite disorientating. 

Watch the end of the animation here:


You can see it is cluttered and the typography is nowhere near as impactful. I said from the start I wanted to have a calligraphic typeface accompanied by a serif or sans serif type face as the two compliment each other nicely and make a really aesthetically pleasing pair. So I went into Illustrator  with the aim to create a graphic to place at the end and here is what I came up with:


I really like this. The class had a problem with the "TURN IT OFF" font (Mesquite Std.) as they thought it came a bit out of the blue and didn't really fit. To compensate for this I gave it grounding with somewhat of a carnival background. I think this creates a little world of it's own around the typography and makes it so that it just works by itself. I also separated the tagline at the top from the image so I could fade that in by itself and then add the rest of the graphic to it.

This along with some other very minor tweaks that aren't worth going into all culminated to create this. This is the final export of the final version of my animation:


Everything works together beautifully and the end graphic along with the slight restructuring and timing of the clips works really nicely to create a final image and bookend to the video that works all together really well and is something I am definitely proud of!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive