Monday 18 November 2013

Chosen Brand

I chose a brand to create the app for very quickly. I didn't have one in mind that I like as I'm not a drinker really so I am unfamiliar with the vast majority of alcoholic brands and beverages. None of the ones I do drink really excited me that much and their brand identity is fairly wishy washy. Not too interesting or thought provoking. The majority of their target audience is teenagers. They target them through images of summer and going out with friends which is completely and utterly cliché'd and played to death. I wanted to focus on something else. 

I started looking to more complete and focussed kinds of drink. Ones with history and lineage. I started looking at Whiskeys and Ale's and the like. I came across Jack Daniel's (which I had initially thought of then crossed off). They have a very prominent visual style and brand. They also have a strong history which they are very proud of and like to display and talk about.


This appealed to me and coincided with me watching "Stephen Fry In America" on YouTube. In particular the second episode, in which Stephen visits an old distillery:

(Click the here or on the image below to watch the part I'm talking about from episode 2).


In the episode he talks about the prohibition and samples some bourbon from an old classic American distillery. This inspired me as you can see the passion that the man guiding Stephen around has for the drink and how keen he is to express his passion and knowledge. This speaks for the American way of life as a whole I think. When America has an industry or past time that it loves and is proud of it goes out it's way to ensure it's of the highest quality and something to be proud of. It happens with music, instruments, whiskey, machinery, it's space program, loads of things. They are all world famous down to the sheer amount of passion and quality poured into each and every one of them.

For this reason I focussed in on Jack Daniel's. I loved the heritage the brand the colour scheme and overall look and feel the company has. I then also remembered a TV spot they recently commissioned. It details the musical history that has surrounded Nashville, Tennessee and how Jack Daniel's has been an integral cog in the musical lineage around the city. And by extension how the creator (Jack himself) has sat in on countless legendary recordings and played live with bands on Sunset strip because the bottle he produced had been with them at the time. This is the ad:


It is really strong and impacting. You feel as though you have been transported back in time to when those bands and artists were playing and you feel as though you were in the room. That I realised was exactly what I wanted to re-create and suddenly I had an idea. A Jack Daniel's Time Capsule for Music.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive