Wednesday 27 November 2013

Visual Style

Jack Daniels has a very strong visual style. High contrast black and white. This is a very iconic and recognisable brand identity and something that works very well for Jack Daniels. That style coupled with the typography they use make for an instantly identifiable brand. It is also I feel quite limiting for something as broad and open as an app. I did try to make some images that would be suitable to the high contrast black and white imagery:


This is an image I created very early on. There is heavy film grain along with obviously the high contrast monotone colouring. This evokes feeling prominent with the brand. Strong heritage and and patriotic feelings. It is quite plain however, and I thought at risk of becoming tiresome and overused within the broad context of an app. I wanted to inject some colour and interest in without substituting factors iconic with the brand. After all the brief specifies the app needs to be tied in with a brand of alcohol. So I wanted to look for some inspiration.

I have always loved the look of old vintage instruction manuals. The illustration is always very intricate and stylised. I love the colours used and how they are imperfect over the images drawn. They are often misprinted or deliberately slap dash in a subtle, artistic way. After compiling a mood board of them I realised that it was perfect. This is the mood board I created:


This is in my pitch, I created it in keynote as it was quick and easy and I quickly saw how I could use the techniques and visual style to create an app. I adored the colours used, the typography, the composition, everything really. (It is something modern day instruction manuals could learn a lot from). My two favourite ones that inspired me the most was the french typewriter one in the top left and the blue coloured ZEISS one immediately to the right. The typography, colours, relic'd look and feel to the paper it was printed on.

This style, whilst looking very iconic, eye catching and aesthetically pleasing it also fits in with the style and theme of Jack Daniels I think. the vintage look and feel harks back to the heritage of the company. Also all the actual imagery of the product be it photographic or illustrated, it is all in black and white and high contrast. This is reminiscent of Jack's logo and colour scheme and can then be combined with colour in a way that is very authentic and tastefully done. It isn't colouring images it is applying a wash over the top and tinting the already black and white image. It is period accurate to an older style of doing things. It will simultaneously make the app more engaging, visually impacting and aesthetically pleasing whilst still adhering to the brand and not straying too far from their ideals.

After finding this I quickly mocked up two different posters/home screens in the style of the two manuals I pointed out earlier. This served to really focus in all of my design choices and finalise on a direction, feel, theme and context. The first is based on the french typewriter manual:


This second one is based on the manual for ZEISS lenses:


I do prefer the second one. It illustrates the addition of colour far more effectively and also I feel just works better as an overall design. I think that I will use this image as a home screen actually. The record can serve as a start button. I really do think that this is a very engaging and effective direction to head in. It is a very lucrative way of adding in colour and the designs it is based upon are all very engaging, colourful recognisable and will suit the environment of an app very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive