Friday 22 February 2013

Font Choices

I originally planned to use a wide number of fonts however, when it came time to start work on my project I had a change of heart. I think that simplicity and restraint are key themes that I need to keep to. A vast assortment of fonts would clutter the design and look a little congested and overly confusing. I want to narrow it down to one font face. This introduced an interesting dilemma. A serif or script font would fit the themes of elegance and regality however, with video it is something to be avoided because on a screen if it is moving or small in the frame it becomes hard to read and un-necasarily frivolous. A sans-serif font would be perfect for video and look aesthetically pleasing however, has limited ties to themes of elegance and regality. 

Overall I came to the decision that a sans-serif font is the only real option. Readability is paramount at the end of the day and also the sans-serif fonts tie into, arguably the main theme in the speech, newspapers and the media. This was enough of a factor for me to decide that I wanted to use a sans-serif font however, I then actually had to choose one. I wanted it to be both clean, crisp and modern whilst not being too ordinary and having a little flair to it. So not too showy but not bland and boring. This I felt represented Diana's qualities to a tee. In the end I plumped for the font Knockout in Bantamweight.


As you can see it is subtly stylised as apposed to something like Helvetica. It is a little taller and very professionally put together. It is a very aesthetically pleasing font and fits the imagery I have captured perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive