Friday 8 February 2013

Design Changes

I was originally planning to use mainly stock footage and really literal interpretations of the spoken cues. This was flagged by the group as a possible issue and after re-reading the brief I have noticed the the trailer must not be a literal interpretation of what is said. This has made me re-consider my initial ideas and venture down a new path. 

I have now decided to film most if not all of the video myself. This makes it near impossible to be too literal with my footage as the majority of the speech is focussed around really personal issues and situations between Earl Spencer and Princess Diana. Filming everything myself will help to really, physically pull myself and the footage away from a straight forward and obvious standing and more towards the abstract. I shall film all around my local area to get really simple, scenic, calm, beautiful shots that will have subtle meanings and emotions wrapped around them which can be personal to whoever is viewing them with everyone having slightly different interpretations of what is shown.

I do not want to stray too far into the abstract space however. It has a tendency to get a little to extreme and odd. All meaning, relation and cohesion can be lost very easily. It is quite a hard thing to balance. I shall attempt to tackle this by sticking to a similar theme, setting and storyline. I want the trailer to flow; have a beginning, middle and end. I want it to have structure and themes. I am thinking of grounding it in the source material most probably through the use of the story of the train journeys Earl Spencer alludes to in the beginning section of the speech. This will be somewhat of a challenge balancing being too literal with being too abstract.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive