Tuesday 10 June 2014

Possible Fix

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my computer was having serious issues with it's RAM management. It meant that I couldn't do any of the scheduled work and may have had to forfeit creating the showreel. Well, thankfully, I think I have discovered a solution. My classmate Jake mentioned he had had a similar problem and suggested a workaround that had helped him.

The problem he was having was that Mavericks was indexing his entire computer to make the spotlight search function more efficient. The computer was writing and remembering a file path to every single facet of the machine which is quite a labor intensive task and thus requires a lot of RAM. All I had to do was go into system settings and stop spotlight from indexing everything. I left on files and videos because spotlight is handy of that but I turned off everything else. And hey Presto! It seems to have done the trick. Touch wood that was all that was happening but as far as I can tell my computer is back to normal. I have downloaded the app "Memory Clean" to keep an eye on the RAM usage but I seem to have about 2GB free when not running anything whereas before (whilst the problem was in full swing) I would have had around 8MB of free RAM storage without any programs open at all. So, a marked improvement. 

With this I think that I am able to create the showreel. After Effects and Premiere Pro only use about 200MB of RAM each until it comes to RAM previewing or encoding a video but I feel confident my computer can handle it now. Which is of course a huge relief. So, fingers crossed, I can create the showreel for the show myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive