Tuesday 10 June 2014

Finished Website

My website for the purposes of this project has reached completion. I am yet to add a contact section however, that will be coming shortly. I need to wrap my head around PHP and I don't feel confident enough to give it a crack considering the time constraints. Apart from that though I am really happy with the site. It is fully responsive and supported by the major browsers. It also works on my iPhone, iPad mini and 2nd generation iPad. The web address can be found below:


I really like the design. It is simple, elegant and functional. I think that the red really adds to the design grabbing the eye and allowing for visual flair and fidelity. The monochrome overtones also make for a sophisticated, sleek and professional finish which I think compliments my style as a designer well. I don't do messy, my preferred style is simple, geometric and symmetrical. That is where I feel at home and I feel like my website reflects that well.

Now down to the technical side of things. At desktop screen sizes the website looks as the screenshot I posted earlier. The navigation is in a row in the footer element and the design page has three columns for the images:




When moving down to iPhone sizes a few things have to change to allow for full functionality and ease of use. The first and most important thing is that the navigation switches to a slide out menu that can be toggled with a button that protrudes from the bottom of the page:



It is difficult to see from the images above but the menu in it's normal state sits at the bottom of the page as just an arrow. When clicked the full menu slides out from the bottom and the user can choose their destination. 

Other than the menu the only other changes are responsive scaling of all the video elements and the logo/pictures on the design page jump down to smaller size. Along side various small tweaks to margins and sizings elsewhere. This is the difference:




The menu bar is also drastically reduced in height to help keep as much real-estate free on the iPhone's screens. Particularly for earlier iOS devises with shorter screens than the iPhone 5. I found that even on the iPhone 5 with a taller menu button a lot of the content was hidden behind it.

Once again I am very happy with how the website came together and I think that it is a very strong asset and tool for my personal promotion. The videos fit in with the style as does my design work. 

And just to be clear, the best way to see the responsiveness and all the little nuances is to visit the site with the link above and play around with re-sizing it and clicking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive