Wednesday 26 March 2014

Sports Breakfast

This is by far the most extensive project in the brief given to me. It is a 30 second title sequence that is extraordinarily complex with lost of movement and rotoscoping required. I decided to tackle this one first then do the shorter ones at the end. To start with I wanted to compile footage to rotoscope around. The footage needed to be dealing more or less with a single axis. By that I mean that I needed all of the action to take place along the X axis in space. The ball had to be traveling from left to right or right to left. It didn't matter which direction as I could always flip the clips orientation in After Effects and make the ball travel the other way. My idea is to have the ball travel from one player to another left and right and then eventually be shot back into the stadium. This requires a very particular set of footage. However, I was able to find the majority of it on YouTube. The only problem with that being that the quality was fairly abysmal. This makes rotoscoping difficult as it is near impossible for me to see defined edges. 

It does look doable though. All of the footage is perfect as it is clear which each sport is and the balls travel along the X axis perfectly and all at the correct height and pitch each time. Each have their little quirks and pitfalls but I think that they are all useable. I am only missing one for basketball as that requires the player to catch the ball from the right and then shoot it more or less straight ahead. There doesn't seem to be anything like that on YouTube. My contact says he may be able to source something himself. Hopefully the footage he finds suits the motion otherwise I will have to compromise the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive