Wednesday 6 November 2013

Animating

This is the first time I have created an entire animation out of still images. It was a challenge but a lot of fun. I used Adobe Illustrator and Cinema 4D to create the assets then After Effects to composite and animate them. (The reason I changed from Flash to Illustrator is that I changed the idea from an animated character to a box and I thought that Illustrator was a much better fit for creating that art style.) I used the majority of After Effect's standard tools to create movement. Mainly I used  position, scale, rotation, pan-behind, opacity, masking, duplication, colour curves etc. It was good limiting myself to these tools and not going over the top and using extravagant designs.

A lot of the animation is quite simplistic and straight forward which I think really goes hand in hand with the art style which is very minimalistic and clean itself. Nothing is to elaborate and there is a discernible look and feel to the colours and shapes used.

I really liked the process of animating still images there is still a lot of play that you have, it isn't as limiting as you first think. I am able to create a really nice, controlled, clean animation and rotoscoping/masking in general is almost a completely painless experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive