Wednesday 9 October 2013

In Search of Music

This project needs a soundtrack. There are a few different ideas floating around in my head for what will be on the soundtrack in terms of music at the moment. Most of them happy, upbeat and acoustic. I don't want to conform really to a stereotypical happy, upbeat and acoustic song over the advert. We've heard it all before and it I want inject a little excitement and difference into my advert with an exciting, interesting soundtrack.

Gustavo Santaolalla:


This man, originally born in Argentina now living in America, is quite an abstract and experimental composer. His music is often constructed using relatively unheard of instruments or regular instruments played in unusual ways. I think his music is astounding; it is chaotic, unstable, beauty. He recently recorded the soundtrack to the popular video game "The Last Of Us". His work on that game was mind blowing and brought him to my attention. Here's one of my favourites of his:


His music is usually quite mellow and downbeat. It is often in a minor key and has a sad, serious feeling attached to it. This wouldn't suit some of the ideas in my head but could suit others. He has a lot of music and I have only recently began listening to his songs and so am not entirely sure if there is one to fit perfectly at this point however, I would love to include some of his work in my advert as it has such a strong impact and resonance I think would add weight alongside having a more lasting impact on the viewer.

I would love to include his work in some capacity as I think it is really original and doesn't go with the stereotypical advert music we've all heard 1,000,000,000 times in every advert ever. It breaks the mould and will add memorability. Think of the Lloyds TSB adverts and the advert for We Buy Any Car dot com. The soundtrack to those adverts make them stick in our minds and create a lot of the charm. This makes me really want to incorporate Gustavo's work however, if it doesn't fit or gel correctly then I'm not going to shoe horn it in.

Honourable Mentions:

The Stereotypes:



The Drums:



Kimbra:



Excision Downlink:



These songs are all varied and out there and different and yet I think they would all work with the ideas in my head however, they are quite specific. Once I have finalised an idea and style I will finalise the song also.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive