Thursday 23 May 2013

Galleries

I wanted to make everything I added feel tactile and home made (mirroring the ideas put across by the stitching effect in the logo and nav in my website). I didn't want anything really obviously Apple and digitally implanted per say. I feel that this would really help tie the iBook and website together and allow for a strong sense of brand identity and consistency. The galleries I added are an example of this:


As you can see I've added the stitching effect border to soften the edge of the gallery both to make it adhere to my theme and colour scheme and to give the user a defined region through which to swipe and use the gallery. I chose to use thumbnails instead of the little dots below because I feel that it makes it clearer that it is a gallery and not just an image particularly when the gallery is smaller and less impacting (because after all accessibility is key):


For example here the addition of thumbnails makes it far clearer that the gallery is indeed a gallery and not just an image. I have also used them (like in the example above) to abbreviate the text and highlight key points. Similar to how I used tables in my website I want the galleries to display all the key facts and ideas displayed in large bodies of text and summarise them. That was students can see and image and read the description and hopefully read the paragraph to see more information. It would work for me and I am only a touch older than the target audience. I think this is a good feature that works well.

Galleries are also more tactile and interactive than a simple image anyway. I like the idea of the student exploring the page and finding what can be swiped. It links back to the themes of the Pacific and of exploration. There is more than meets the eye. Very subtly and subliminally the idea of exploration in the galleries links to the idea of oceans all over the world and I like that a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive