Friday 24 May 2013

Content

This is something I forgot to add earlier in my blog entries. Where I sourced the content. I used various sites across the web. I mentioned them all in my asset register so I'm not going to go into all of them but there were two main ones. Ocean light, Wikipedia and Fishbase. These all proved to be great resources as they had different strengths. I used them to create this database:


Here I collated the names of a lot of different marine life and put them along with the species and genome. I then also placed along with that the links to the Wikipedia page on the animal and the Fishbase page.


Ocean Light:

This is the site I first used to find the names of all the fish:


This site has a fairly comprehensive list of fish in the ocean. I went through and determined which ones resided within the Pacific. I found there names on Wikipedia and entered them into the database. Wikipedia worked well to find out there names and species however, I wanted something far more detailed for when I would be entering the information into my website and iBook. After a quick search on the net I found Fishbase.


FishBase:


This site has extremely detailed information on it on almost every animal I searched. This is how I managed to create the tables below each animal on my third page:


As you can see the information is extensive and was a great resource for me to find and use. Not only did it give me information like the depth the animal lives at, its age, size and weight. It also supplies a cornucopia of images at the top! This was great for when I was drawing out the creatures in Illustrator as I could find a side on image or a scientific diagram and trace round it.

The only down side to this site is that it is "Fish" base. This meant that whales were not included as they are technically mammals. To find information about them I used a mixture of Wikipedia, Enchanted Learning and National Geographic. These both proved amazing resources and I ended up going back to add information using Enchanted Learning!


Wikipedia:


A lot of people slate Wikipedia for being unreliable and spurious. It can be and often times is. Because of this I never used it to source long pieces of information or important sections. I only used it to verify the species and genome and to some facts about the size and weight of some of the animals. The reason I did this is because Wikipedia is often times written by a member of the public. This means that they would have collated information from across the web to one place. Any time I pulled information off this site I would verify it else where and make sure it was valid but it often was. This proved to be a valuable resource for stats and info concerning animals because it really helped to get a wide array of information that would often be spread far and wide across the web. Wikipedia gathers it all and displays it in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive