Wednesday 3 April 2013

Graphical Inspiration - Yiying Lu


This is the work of Yiying Lu. She is an artist based in Sydney, Australia. She has a similar style to that of Christopher Lee however, her style has less of a hand drawn look to it and is more mathematically and anatomically correct in my opinion. Although I prefer the style of Christopher Lee I think that this is probably closer to what I will end up creating for my website and iBook. The reason is that it is still colourful and unique however, it is a little cleaner and more anatomically/scientifically correct. That is an important aspect highlighted by the brief. 

Her website contains a gallery of her work including the Twitter "Fail Whale" that brought her a certain amount of notability. She has quite a diverse and broad spectrum of styles that can be detected in her work. It is blocky and vibrant however, the degree of vibrancy changes a lot from piece to piece as does the complexity of the shapes and intricacy of designs. 

As you can see if you compare this:

To this:

The first is far more subdued and and intricate whereas the second is sparse, simple and very vibrant. I think that the first style is much more fitting to the images I have in my mind and so that is what I can see influencing me the most.

Overall her work is really accomplished. I love the colour choices she has picked for most of her designs and I think the more complex, mathematically perfect designs work the best. I want to try and combine both Christopher Lee's colour choices and graphical identity with Yiying Lu's more anatomical, scientific drawing accuracy and more computerised, perfect looking vector style.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive