Wednesday 3 April 2013

Graphical Inspiration - Christopher Lee



This is the work of Christopher Lee. He is a graphic designer based in California. He draws with a really unique, vintage, cartoony yet tactile style. It is hard to describe. His style is both vibrant and simplistic. It is what I aspire to come close to replicating for my work. I want to combine small, vector graphical elements in this style with a structure and feel similar to the Boston Globe website I looked at earlier. I feel as though if I handle it correctly it could work really well.

Here is a link to a gallery of his work:

The colour spectrum he utilises is very fitting to the colours I had in my head. They're soft, pastel colours coupled with splashes of much richer, more vibrant colours. This works well to create a nice overall feel whilst still highlighting a particular area or object. This is something that works really well and I can use this technique both in my images and also in the text. I can choose a key colour that I can use throughout my designs as a highlight colour. This will strengthen my brand identity.

His drawing style is quite vintage and cartoony. I think I may have to adhere more to anatomical proportionality and more photo real objects. This is the only major draw back with his work is that it wouldn't really suit the brief of a website containing A level content. However, if the text and other information is at a high enough level then this style of cartoony drawing may in fact add something really nice to the site and work really well.

My main problem with academic texts and sites is that they are either way too text heavy and bland. It is usually the colour spectrum and image choice that lets them down. I think that with a more vibrant colour spectrum and unique art style I could really bring a new and successful flare to this genre and create something really engaging.

I will also use the same style and ideas in the iBook. This if anything adds more freedom with this kind of style. I can have larger images and really go down a more playful, creative, interactive route with the iBook as it isn't as conventional and established as a website and it is still a relatively new form of media distribution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive