Sunday 3 February 2013

Music

One of the first aspects I heavily considered was not the visual qualities but the audial ones. I cannot decide whether to include a music track along side the speech track. On the one hand music can really inspire emotion, add power and generally strengthen the imagery when the imagery is cut to a beat or time signature recognisable within a track. On the other hand it can detract from the power of a line due to the fact that you could not very clearly hear the subtle nuances in the voice where the speaker may dip in volume or crackle to show powerful emotion, a music track might just brush that aside. It is a very tricky issue.

There were a lot of choices when it came to song choices. Do I go instrumental? Or do lyrics help add emotion. One track that instantaneously jumped out to me was Elton John's "Candle in the Wind". It was written for Diana and played at her funeral. However, I quickly dismissed this as I think it is really cliché and would detract from the speech too much. This also made me realise that lyrics in the music is definitely something to avoid. It creates conflict with the words spoken and makes it unnecessarily complicated. Although they really help to convey emotion and ideas they have no place accompanying a speech in a trailer for BBC Radio 4.

After a while of pondering and a little trial and error I eventually narrowed down my music choice to one song. It is "Windows" by "The Album Leaf". It is a very powerful, swirling, instrumental piece with a lot of emotion and energy within it. It is a very pure, unrefined, delicate, natural song and I feel as though that it could not represent Princess Diana any better. The fit is perfect. This is the song:


As you can see it is an utterly suburb instrumental piece that would really fittingly accompany the tone and message of Earl Spencer's speech however, I feel as though the jury is still out as to whether or not I include it. I shall have to wait until delving into the editing process to really know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive