Thursday 31 January 2013

Choosing a Speech

I was initially interested in a few of the speeches. The second I saw the list of speeches we had to work with a few of them jumped off the page only because I could recite them and I had a strong image of the period before research. These speeches were:

  • Winston Churchill: We shall fight them on the beaches.
  • John F. Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you.
  • Martin Luther King: I have a dream.

The one I was initially most interested in pursuing was Martin Luther King's speech as it is incredibly powerful and continues to build and build to dizzying heights. I already could imagine the sorts of things that I could pair to the lines the look and feel I hoped to create. However, I thought that most of my other classmates would have chosen one of these three and in order to really stretch my design potential and expand as an artist I had to step out of my comfort zone a little. For this reason I chose to research a few of the other speakers I was less familiar with and see which one grabbed me. 

After a bit of digging around I found the Earl Spencer's speech "The most hunted person of the modern age" to be the most engaging. It is obviously powerful as it is a brother talking about the loss of his sister and is also very poignant as it was about a very high profile lady, who struck a chord with the world, dying. The time period was also drastically different to all the others which would be more of a challenge to accurately represent as it was so close to where we are now.

I have decided to choose the Earl Spencer speech because I think it will do really well to help expand my design potential and really hone in on the messages with little pre conceived ideas of what the speech is about or the speaker, a burden which came with the original three speeches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive