Tuesday 13 November 2012

Choosing a Book

I figured it'd be best to choose a book right at the beginning of the project. Having a set route to channel all of my ideas down I think will be very valuable as it will allow me to really focus on making the best design possible. My initial reaction when I read the brief was to go with "The Wind in the Willows". I am already somewhat familiar with the story and the graphical style that goes along with it. "The Big Sleep" intrigued me more. I have never read a crime fiction book and am unfamiliar with the art style that goes along with it. I have very briefly looked into film noir but never extensively. 

After some to'ing and fro'ing I have decided to go with "The Big Sleep". I thought that it would be important to step out of my comfort zone somewhat and try to generate ideas for something I am completely unfamiliar with. The childlike, friendly feel to the wind in the willows leads itself to a cartoony, vector style; the big sleep however, does not. Film noir is very photographic and real. It is gritty, black and white and striking which are aspects not necessarily tied into vector, cartoony imagery. This makes it more appealing to me as it presents somewhat of a challenge. I think that clean, vector style imagery can suit the theme of the book and film noir very well.

Vector artwork is sharp, clean and can be very detached from reality. Film noir is near enough the opposite. this creates a really intriguing contrast I think. The grittiness of the book will be complimented by the smooth, clean cover design and both with work together well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive