Sunday 8 June 2014

Computer Troubles

A serious problem has occurred with my computer. It has literally kept my iMac out of action for over a week. The problem is a bug in the latest release of OS X Mavericks that other people have encountered before me. It is to do with how Mavericks manages RAM allocation. It basically results in a function called "kernel_task" using all of my RAM even with no programs or files open and active. It will eat every last bit of RAM and then bring my computer to a grinding halt, forcing me to restart just to regain any function. This of course restarts the cycle allowing me 2-3 minutes of usage time before again my computer comes to a halt and I have to restart.

This issue has meant that I couldn't even open Premiere Pro let alone edit within it. I have spent all the time that my computer has been functioning either looking for a solution to the problem or messaging for help. This has resulted in me missing a lot of emails and deadlines. It has really thrown a spanner in the works. The main thing is that I haven't been able to progress at all the with production of the showreel. 

I am discussing with the class in with faculty in the college about handing the task off to someone else as it means that I cannot produce a thing at this moment in time. I will have to see how things progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive