Monday 13 May 2013

Logo Evolution

I only prototyped a logo for the mock up. With the new look and feel that I created I didn't think that just plain text would suffice. I think that a bit more of a graphical impact is required for the logo and a bit more graphical separation between the headings and the logo. The new layout & colour scheme luckily has freed me up to be far more adventurous in my graphical endeavours. I originally used the font Gotham HTF for my logo due to it's thick, impacting, bold yet modern and sleek style. The font still looked nice and had all the characteristics I was looking for with the new design however, I thought that the font alone wasn't popping that's why, in the mock up, I put an inner shadow on it to try and bring it to life:



I did this because it adds a little bit of life into the word and draws the eye and it also ties into the theme of the ocean in a very subtle, not clichĂ© way. I liked the idea of subtly using depth to link to the ocean. Instead of trying to make ineffective water graphics and implementing them. I instead subtly used depth through shading certain elements. I wanted to make it look as though (in the example above) the title has been pushed into the background and it actually sitting back in space. I also wanted to make the nav element sit on top of every other element both physically and graphically and also push video and images etc. out from the background. This would create discernible edges and borders without using solid colours or jarring visual elements. It is soft, subtle and effective.

Back to the task at hand. The logo wasn't quite doing it for me. I could imagine it with other elements on the page all utilising the idea of depth through shading I just discussed. It would become somewhat lost. This made me want to revamp it and really make it jump off the page (as I also wanted to later, use it as a link to the homepage). I took the pink colour I had already specified and ran with it. 

My goal from the beginning was to move away from the utilitarian, boring, black and white imagery usually associated anatomical and scientific learning and replace it with a more vibrant, exciting, cartoony feel. Having recently progressed from an A level course myself I could really see that style being effective for me and so I feel confident it would appeal to the companies target audience. To tackle this I wanted to go with a kind of childlike feel that would have a strong visual impact. It would also soften the figures and information given and allow for some quite creative graphical liberties.

With that in mind I brainstormed logo ideas that would loosely tie into the childlike nature I just envisioned. Something that quickly arrose was the idea of like a scout's badge. Something that would be stitched to a uniform and show they had gained the knowledge that the image related to. I started playing with the idea until eventually finalising this as my complete logo:


I am really happy with how it came out. I think it balanced sophistication and modern style with childlike flair very well. The banner beneath the badge adds the sophistication and graphical competence. The badge itself brings softness and childlike joy. I really like the juxtaposition that comes along with making the vector style which is really cartoony, smooth and digital represent such a tactile, physical thing. It works really well I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive