Tuesday 6 November 2012

Decisions Behind Poster No. 1

This is the finished version (prior to class crit') of my first poster. It is based upon a poster that was part of a campaign promoting the idea of visiting certain places in America: 
It is promoting the chat feature on Facebook and it's ability to enable you as the user to easily talk to their friends. I drew inspiration from this "See America" poster:
It's colours and art style really appealed to me as it was far more colourful, simplistic and calm than any other forms of propaganda I had previously seen. This I feel would help it stand out from other designs as I had the ability to utilise far wider array of font and colour choices. This I felt would allow me to really hone in on a style and have a greater amount of freedom.

I quite closely mirrored the original with the imagery, layout and typeface however, I feel that I have slightly modernised some aspects. I have kept it clean and vector and although still sticking fairly closely to the style and aesthetic appeal of the original type face I have chosen slightly more modern carnations of them.

Typeface:

The original typeface:
My chosen typeface:
I stayed true to the aesthetic qualities of the original with the beige font with a brown, thin interior however, I feel as though the look and formation of the letters is slightly more modern and appealing to the Facebook generation. The main difference comes with the secondary piece of text. In the original is is quite a square and short typeface however, the font I chose to use was very tall and narrow. It is also very thin. I think that this difference really works as it not only draws attention to the main reason for the poster (the words "Use Facebook") it also creates really nice contrast which I think is really appealing and really completes the look, particularly because of the more modern and vibrant colours.

Colour:

The colours were another aspect that I changed very slightly. In the original all of the colours were very slightly washed out and fairly dark. In my design I made them a little more vibrant and a little brighter. I think that it compliments the modern aspects I brought in with the typeface and the chat windows and just really helps the poster pop and grab the eye. In my second poster I really washed out the colours and experimented with the more run down and desolate feel so I wanted to keep this poster vibrant and a bit more lively as I felt it really lends itself to the style of the period I chose. The only reason that the example of the "See America" is washed out and dark is that is an old, worn out copy that has been scanned into the computer. When it was made it too would have been vibrant, bright and colourful. As are other examples of posters from the same time period that are in slightly better condition.

Layout/Composition:

The layout and composition in the original poster I think was one of the strongest aspects due it's sheer simplicity. The bottom third contained all the information then the top two thirds contained nothing but a view of the mountains. It was really successful at selling the idea of visiting Montana because you actually looked that the imagery and the poster as if it was a view of a mountain range by reading the text at the bottom then following the cowboys eye. I stayed very true to this and made sure to mirror the composition and layout as closely as I could. I used the eye of the cowboy to create a line between the two chat boxes. You would follow his view through the first box and up to the second. I think this is really important as it makes sure that the audience know there is a conversation taking place between the cowboy and a person sending smoke signals from the mountains and not just two random statements.

Additions:

These are the only two things completely original that I added to the poster which weren't in the original design:
The smoke signals I made with the brush tool and I think that I managed to keep the clouds in tact with the art style of the rest of the poster. A lot of the poster is very sharp and angular and obviously clouds aren't that. I think that the best way I could have drawn it was with the brush tool as it makes them look a lot more fluffy due to the smoothing feature of the tool. the colouring was just trial and error. I think it fits in with the overall lighting and atmosphere of the poster.

The chat windows were another issue:
These were no where near being in the design. I knew that I wanted to have the Facebook chat windows in the design as it would really help to hammer home the brand identity. I chose to just create a speech bubble type of effect but make it as angular as I could. This I think matches with the mountains in the top half and suits the design. It ties in well with the font choice at the very bottom too and overall I think was the only way of executing this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive